How to Get Groceries Delivered to Your Door or Your Car
- Buy local. Many small grocers offer curbside pick up and delivery. You won’t have to compete online for time slots, and you will support small, local businesses in the process.
- Join a local social media group where you can communicate with your neighbors. Consumers can get valuable information from their local community about what options are available. You might even be able to share a bulk delivery with a neighbor.
- Keep multiple shopping carts active and full. If a delivery slot is released, you’ll be ready to check out quickly.
- Check often throughout the day. Many consumers have an opinion about the best time to get a slot. Some have luck at midnight, while others have been able to secure slots during the day. No one has successfully cracked the pattern, so check whenever possible.
- Create a reasonable list and organize it if possible. If you’re looking for hard-to-find items like toilet paper, Lysol wipes, and Purell, there is a very good chance that an Instacart shopper will reject your order.
- Think outside of the box. Major food distributors like Baldor started residential deliveries. You may have to buy in bulk, but if you can afford large quantities, you can save yourself a few trips to the market. If you prefer smaller amounts, organize with your friends and neighbors to share an order.
- If you are elderly, immunocompromised, or unable to shop for food, contact your local governing body or place of worship. Many local organizations have names of volunteers who are willing to help and shop for those who can’t.
If you prefer to go to a store, keep these tips in mind:
- Wear a mask or face covering. This is important to help create a safer environment, and many stores will not let you in without one.
- Research the stores hours before you go. Some stores have designated certain hours for seniors, and many have cut their regular hours.
- Find out when your stores receive new stock. If you’re looking for a highly sought-after item, your best chance to get it is on the day it arrives at the store. If your store gets new stock on certain days of the week, make sure you can shop on that day.